Saturday, October 17, 2009

Influenza

The dang flu....that is what Gray has! Gray's daycare called me Thursday stating that he had 103.0 temp and that I needed to pick him up. 103.0 temp??? I was freaking out! This was like the time when he was put in the hospital at 7 weeks because his temp was 100.8..heres the post about that...Grays 1st Sickness. But since then he has only had 2 ear infections and thrush one time and he never ran fever with any of those. Well, I picked him up from school and took him straight to Urgent Care in Lexington (Grays Dr. didn't have any openings available since it was almost 4:30 p.m.). So when we got to Urgent Care they took his temp and it was 101.6....after 1 1/2 hours of waiting we were finally seen by an Dr. with the conclusion of the flu! Before we could leave, the Dr. had to take his temp again it was up to 103.4...I about had a heartattack. I was so afraid they were going to put him in the hospital. But the Dr. just gave him Tylenol and put him on tamiflu and an antibiotic (just in case there was a underlying secondary infection because he's had a cough and congestion for 2 weeks now that just wouldn't go away) and said to alternate between Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours.

I tried everything his Dr. said to do regarding the cough and congestion: elevate the bed, suction his nose, running the cool mist humidifer....nothing worked. Needless to say, his pediatrician stated it was just a cold and they couldn't do anything about it because he was under 2 years old. They don't like to give cold/cough medicine to infants.

Friday night, was probably the worst night. We had been giving him pedialyte instead of his formula but of course he wanted his milk before going to bed. He didn't want anything else. Well, stupid me said "ok, if that's what you want" and needless to say, that was the wrong decision. He threw the bottle up....right down my shirt, in my bra and down my pants. I felt so helpless but he must have felt awhole lot better because he started smiling while Daddy was about to throw up.

As of today, he seems to be doing a little better. Still has a fever but I believe it is slowing going down. He's very clingy and very fussy (not like him AT ALL) so I haven't been able to get much done this weekend but that's ok. I want him to know that I'll ALWAYS be there for him even through all the throw up, fussiness, restlessness, getting up at 3:00 a.m. and then 5:00 and then 7:00 a.m., etc...he is my heart and I would do anything to make him feel better.


Daddy decided to take a picture of us while we were taking a nap on the couch this morning. We were both exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment