Grayson had his first trip to the Emergency Room on Sunday, April 5. He started running a little fever Sunday afternoon, it was varying between 99.9 and 100.2. Well, I called his Dr. and with it being a weekend, the hotline took a message and said the Nurse would call me back. When she did she stated that if his temp. went over 100.4 degrees rectally than we needed to take him to Richland Childrens Hospital ER. Around 8:00 p.m. that night his temp. went to 100.8. So I threw on some clothes and went straight to the hospital and arrived there around 9:00 p.m. I waited in the waiting room for about 15 min. (I couldn't believe it) and was finally seen by the nurse. When she took his temp. it was 101.1 and she told me that the Drs. would probably want to do a full work-up (meaning blood, urine, and every other test you could imagine). And that is exactly what they did. Poor thing was stuck with needles everywhere. First, he had a chest X-ray done to make sure he didn't have pneumonia and his lungs and heart were working properly (thank Goodness he didn't and they were). Then, they drew blood in his right hand and after that they kept the tube there just in case he needed IV fluids. After drawing the blood they had to get a urine sample so they stuck a catheter up his wee-wee :(. Luckily, his blood and urine came back normal! So, since they were normal they wanted to do a spinal tap to check for bacterial meningitis. I couldn't stay in the room when they did this because they had to have a sterile environment so I was asked to wait in the waiting room. That was the longest wait EVER! I hated that I couldn't be in there with him but when they finally came and got me, he was already falling back to sleep. I couldn't believe it.
Because his temp. was so high for a 7 week old baby, they had to admit him into the hospital. And because of them checking for bacterial meningitis, we were in "confinement." They put a blue bag on your door to let the Drs. and Nurses know that there might be a communicable disease and they have to scrub down everytime they come in (this was before they found out he was negative for bacterial meningitis). Well, after all these tests and all negative results they tested for RSV (which is Respiratory Syncytial Virus). If it came back negative then they would test for the flu....well, needless to say, his RSV test was positive. So my poor baby has RSV. And you want to know how they test for that?! By sticking a long tube up his nose and sucking a boogie out...NO NEEDLES!! He went through all those needle pricks! I was crying through this whole ordeal because I just feel like its my fault that my baby is sick. If I didn't have to work, he wouldn't have to go to daycare and he would not have got sick (Dr. did confirm that she thought it was from the daycare). BUT she did say that this illness is really going to build his immune system.
So it has been a couple of days and he still has a cough and very bad congestion but gradually he is getting better. Hopefully the next cold won't be as bad at this!!
Heres my little man with the IV in his arm. Hes so sweet!
No comments:
Post a Comment